Durham-based DesignHammer is looking for a versatile Drupal Developer to join our dynamic team. Applicant must be excited to develop Drupal solutions for a wide variety of organizations. Experience building and maintaining standards-compliant Drupal websites a must.
Founded in 2001, DesignHammer is an award-winning full-service web strategy, design, and development firm that builds smarter websites for smart companies. Our vision is to make the world a better and more sustainable place by helping clients achieve success. We partner with clients to solve key business problems; leveraging web technologies and our documented, repeatable process.
Our Core Values center on:
- People — We are client-centric while maintaining a healthy work/life balance for employees
- Sustainability — We look to minimize our carbon footprint by maximizing available technologies and methodologies.
- Collaboration — We believe in collaborative decision-making both in the office and with clients
- Innovation — We use proven practices and the latest technology to help companies achieve organizational goals and solve their greatest business problems
DesignHammer offers a fun, casual, and flexible work environment built around forty-hour workweek.
While the company has been working distributed since March 2020 due to the pandemic, we expect to be back in our offices in 2022. Candidates available to work at our Durham, NC office by Fall 2022 are preferred, but virtual (US-based only) will be considered. Our team is 100% vaccinated for COVID-19.
DesignHammer encourages professional development through support of industry organizations though sponsorships, company, and individual memberships:
- Drupal Association
- User Experience Professionals Association
- AIGA, the professional association for design
- American Marketing Association
Job responsibilities include:
- Develop new websites using Drupal, and other frameworks
- Collaborating with DesignHammer staff to meet project specifications
- Code standards compliant HTML/CSS/JS
- Maintain existing websites
- Attend local professional meetings/meetups for professional growth and represent DesignHammer
We are looking for candidates who are:
- Experienced developing and maintaining Drupal websites, including writing custom module code, themes, integrations, and services in Drupal 7, 8, and 9
- Acquia certified (or ability to take and pass the exam within three month of starting)
- A good fit with DesignHammer culture — nice people of integrity who work hard and play hard. No drama
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented who can work independently
- Able to contribute as a team player on an interdisciplinary team
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experienced in developing sites for LAMP
- Experience developing for Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. Experience with JSON and Python a plus.
- Experience with WordPress a plus.
- Experienced with version control systems such as Git
- Passionate on coding to best practices
- Want to play a major role in shaping the online presence of major regional and national organizations
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Disability insurance
- SIMPLE Individual Retirement Account with company match
- 26 days PTO/holidays
- 2 days for volunteer work
- Bonusly peer recognition program
- Company covered Acquia Certification exam fees
- Conference attendance/presentation opportunities
- Relevant professional membership dues (AMA, AIGA, UXPA, etc.)
- Cube-free work environment
- Free snacks and drinks
- Weekly staff lunch
- Nationally recognized for workplace flexibility and work life balance (winner of the Alfred P. Sloan, and When Work Works awards)
- The Durham Living Wage Project Accredited employer (Founding member)
- Bull City Workplace Challenge Green Workplace award winner
- Winner of over fifty awards for web design and development in international competition including The Communicator Awards, The Davey Awards, dotCOMM Awards, Hermes Creative Awards, Summit Creative Award, Vega Digital Awards, and W3 Awards
- Quality of samples (please share code samples, preferably on drupal.org, github or the like, and should be beyond coursework examples). We are looking for code samples indicative of your coding ability as well as your development philosophy. If any sample was part of a team project, please describe your contribution. You are welcome to redact any client-identifying info in your samples.
- Strong communication skills
- Successful independent work history
- Ability to follow directions
To be considered, you must attach a resume, and cover letter that fulfills the following:
Please complete our online application form. Attach your resume, and a cover letter that conveys the following:
- Description of the type of work you have done, and what you are interested in doing in the future, as well as what you would like to learn to do.
- Samples of your work. Be specific about the role you played in producing the examples in your portfolio/samples (versus what was done by others or in collaboration).
Note: If you are applying through an employment site such as Glassdoor or Indeed that does not allow you to upload a cover letter, please either include it as part of your resume upload or let us know, and you may upload it via email in response to the message you will receive after submitting your application.